Quick check about kernel patching and compile...

Andy Main ubuntu at chicken-farm.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 10:37:37 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 11:13 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 11:09:10AM +0000, Andy Main wrote:
>
> > Is it? The config file says it isn't.  Should have mentioned before, I
> > have an amd64.
>
> Ah, I see.  Yes, the default kernel doesn't build with CONFIG_PREEMPT on
> amd64.  Are you sure that it is safe?

Nope - but you live and learn!  I have a default work partition, and I
keep a second partition for audio work(ardour, csound, etc.) - so if
anything breaks I can still do my work.  My audio partition was based on
Gentoo before, but I have had such a nice experience with Ubuntu I
thought I'd try this out.

> > In any case patch my kernel I would like to know how to redo a kernel
> > and still be able to have the same system (in case I patch, I'm an audio
> > user and my latency needs to be v. low).  Is there a method to rebuild
> > the restricted modules and have the Nvidia module put in the right place
> > (I think it gets installed in the old kernel each time)?  What else is
> > in this restricted modules package?
>
> You need to build linux-restricted-modules against your new kernel if you
> break module compatibility with the stock configuration.  The package
> description and source shows what is in it.

When I get a chance I will have a look and do it. I will try and make
notes and post some sort of howto on the wiki (never done this before).

Thanks,

Andy.