Is there a memory bloat issue with ubuntu library compilation?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sun Nov 7 01:08:53 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 01:25:02AM +0100, Miravlix wrote:

> On lør, 2004-11-06 at 11:24 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > This is ubuntu-users material, so following up there.
>
> We don't quite agree on that, setting the right compiler options is
> development in my book.

This isn't about compiler options.

> I know very well we can't do a byte for byte compare of memory usage,
> since lots of it is libraries, but comparing the memory usage of two
> Linux systems where the difference is in compiler flags does give an
> indication that something might be wrong.

How exactly did you compare them?

> The example of Firefox using 41MB memory on Gentoo/Slackware systems
> compared to ubuntu's 89MB thats is too big a difference to be ignored,
> because it indicate that our base libraries is using 50% more memory and
> for no reason at all.

As I've explained, you can't infer actual memory usage based on those
numbers.  That simply isn't what they mean.

Were you using the same versions of all of the software involved when you
made this comparison?  I'd still like to know how you made the measurements,
since it is not at all trivial to get meaningful results.

--
 - mdz