Reply to-field in mailing list messages

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at canonical.com
Sat Nov 6 08:44:46 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 09:31:04AM +0100, Loptr Chaote wrote:
> Being somewhat new to mailing lists I'm not so sure about the
> standards so I'll ask this question..
>
> I just recently discovered that all my replies to the Ubuntu-users
> list has been sent to the Reply to-address in the mail, which is that
> of the author rather than that of the list.
>
> Shouldn't all mail headers processed and sent out by the mailinglist
> be modified to read "Reply-to: ubuntu-users at ...."?
>
> If not, why so? Seems to me that that's want you want to do 99% of the cases.

Because that makes it more difficult to do personal replies (indeed,
very difficult).  Most mailing software (Evolution, mutt, PINE, Balsa,
Thunderbird, whatever) provides a Reply to List button for exactly this
reason.

It's been debated before and the general consensus was to stay with the
current approach (which is standard for mailing lists) and have people
use the Reply to List button.

:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                        <daniel.stone at canonical.com>