Grub freezes at boot

Andrew Zbikowski andyzib at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 17:15:17 UTC 2004

Your best bet is to download and burn a Knoppix CD. It makes a great
rescue CD. You don't need Knoppix, just a rescue system with
grub...Knoppix works well and I happen to have a CD handy, so I use
it.

When Knoppix starts, enter knoppix 2 instead of the default to go to
text only mode. You don't need X11 for this.

Once booted, mount up your linux partitions.

mount -t ext3 /dev/hda5 /mnt
mount -t ext3 /dev/hda6 /mnt/home

Modify the mount commands for however you partitioned your disk. Now
that things are mounted, check your grub config. less
/mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst. I can't tell you how it should look without
knowing how you partitioned, so now would be a good time for you to
read the grub documentation to figure out if the file is right. :)

With your disks mounted and your menu.lst file verified, run the
following command:

grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=/mnt/boot/grub /dev/hda

You may get some floppy I/O errors even if you do specify --no-floppy
(I did when I did this yesterday...), but as long as you get a
"Completed with no errors" type message, you should be set. You should get
your grub menu when you reboot.If you don't, there may be a more
serious problem to debug...

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
 A password is like your underwear; Change it