burning cds

Bill Stoye skiffworks at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 5 14:44:40 UTC 2004

Unable to burn/write an audio CD, reading the user-list email I stumbled
upon Maximilian Gerlach's note to someone recommending to use 'mp3burn';
following his instructions, and after only a few glitches I was able to
burn an audio CD in Ubuntu. Following is an edited version of what
transpired.

>From Maxi:
I can recommend you the tool 'mp3burn'. It's in universe.
$"mp3burn /path/to/mp3s/*".

Bill:
Using 'Synapic', installed 'mp3burn', tried "mp3burn /path/to/mp3s/*"
and received, "... does not exist or invalid audio file..."

Maxi:
Do you have an atapi, or a scsi writer?
>From the output[omitted] it seems to me that it is atapi. In this case
you either have to give the correct command line switches (with -o
"..."), or, what I would suggest, edit the /etc/cdrecord/cdrecord. Just
look for the device that is your cd writer
       cat /var/log/dmesg |grep CD
and then edit the /etc/cdrecord/cdrecord like this:
       CDR_DEVICE=cdrw
       cdrw=/dev/hdc     16       16m
where /dev/hdc should be the link to your drive and the (first) 16 the
speed it burns. If many of your cd's fail to burn properly, try 16,
which works fine for me (altough I have got a 48x writer).

Bill:
Made these changes suggested in '/etc/cdrecord/cdrecord':
$"cat /var/log/dmesg |grep CD" to get the name of the Devices
and then edited '/etc/cdrecord/cdrecord' as follows:

        CDR_DEVICE=cdrw [removed yamaha(?)]
        cdrw=/dev/hdd     24      24m

The following command worked perfect:
bill at skiffworks ~$
mp3burn /home/bill/Mp3/hank_williams/24_of_hank_williams_greatest_hits/*

I did go to 24 on the speed, I've not had a failure writing an audio CD
at that speed, yet... that is, once I've gotten it to work. The cheap
BTC burner works very well, if only the operator worked as well.

It burned all the audio files in the directory
'/24_of_hank_williams_greatest_hits', tested OK in the CD-ROM, the home
and vehicle CD players, so I guess it encoded and wrote it from a .ogg
to a .wav(?) file.

Maxi suggested that I send the email on to the documentation team; I
summarized the emails leaving out what I felt was irrelevant; will be
happy to send them all on and hope this is of some help.

Best Regards;
Bill