some other burning questions

Bo Rosén brosen at bredband.net
Fri Nov 5 10:03:08 UTC 2004

I know that I can use growisofs -Z /media/cdrom /dev/null to overwrite
the previous contents of a +rw disc, but this still leaves a filesystem
on it. Can dvds be 'unformated'? It's not something I need exactly,
mostly curious.

I've also tried writing a set of files with mkisofs to hd as an iso, but
can't make it work. I've tried various ways, but only get messages like
these

brosen at Delirium:~ $ mkisofs -o tmp/ temp/*
INFO:   ISO-8859-1 character encoding detected by locale settings.
        Assuming ISO-8859-1 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
        use -input-charset to override.
mkisofs: Is a directory. Unable to open disc image file

brosen at Delirium:~ $ mkisofs temp/* tmp/  writes to sdout, ie the screen

and

brosen at Delirium:~ $ mkisofs temp/* tmp/my.iso
INFO:   ISO-8859-1 character encoding detected by locale settings.
        Assuming ISO-8859-1 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
        use -input-charset to override.
mkisofs: No such file or directory. Invalid node - tmp/my.iso

Cheers,
	Bo

--
Bo Rosén <brosen at bredband.net>