Memory leaks in Gnome

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 23:56:51 UTC 2004

No, the clock-applet and the mixer-applet does NOT add upp to 30MB.
So, looking in my computer I see in top

 4745 bagfors   15   0 19828 9396  17m S  0.0  0.9   0:00.44 mixer_applet2
 4747 bagfors   15   0 18088 8428  16m S  0.0  0.8   0:00.23 clock-applet

So, here mixer_applet2 is using 19.8MB and clock-applet 18.1MB,
however, looking at the shared memory you can see that that's 17 and
16MB. That means that mixer_applet2 is using 19.8-17=1.2MB of UNIQUE
memory, the rest is shared with other applets, other gnome apps, other
gtk apps, other glib apps etc.

The only thing you can say from these number is that if you kill
mixer_applet2 you'll get back a minium of 1.2MB, if it's the only
gnome/gtk/glib applikation you are running (not very likely since you
need at least the panel) you most likely get back _almost_ all of the
19.8MB.

So, you can't just add them up. The numbers you have sounds like very
normal usage of the applets including the shared libraries etc.

Regards,
Erik