Quick check about kernel patching and compile...

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Thu Nov 4 21:40:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 10:26:14AM +1300, Christoph Georgi wrote:

> This question might be very stupid, but I can't find the
> linux-source-2.6.8.1 package in Synaptic?!

My guess would be that you answered "no" to the question which asked whether
you wanted access to packages over the Internet.  That package is not on the
CD.

If so, you would need to enable the network repositories in Synaptic.

> Or is it on purpose not included and has to be downloaded from kernel.org?

Why would kernel.org have Ubuntu packages?

> But why then do you offer the kernel sources starting from version 2.2.25
> to 2.6.7 in the universe res?

Those packages are from Debian, and have been removed in Hoary because they
caused confusion.

But if you can see universe packages, you should certainly be able to see
linux-source-2.6.8.1.  Perhaps you should try a search.

--
 - mdz