ISDN-problem

Michael Vogt mvogt at acm.org
Thu Nov 4 09:59:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:07:43AM +0100, Markus Amersdorfer wrote:
> > >  root at ubuntu:/home/max # /etc/init.d/isdnutils start
> > >  Starting ISDN services: interfacesCan't open /dev/isdnctrl or
> > >  /dev/isdn/isdnctrl: No such device ippp0 failed.
> > >    ipppd.
> > >   root at ubuntu:/home/max # Sorry - this system lacks PPP kernel
> > >   support. Check whether you configured at least the ippp0 device!
> >
> > Have you tried to load the ppp_generic, ppp_synctty module?
>
> I tried so now, but it didn't help...:
>
> root at ubuntu:/home/max # /isdn-temporary-dev-fix.sh
> root at ubuntu:/home/max # ll /dev/isdninfo
>          lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 2004-11-04 01:26
> /dev/isdninfo -> ../.dev/isdninfo

Have you checked /dev/isdnctrl? It should be a symlink to /dev/isdnctrl0.
There should be a line like:
# ll /dev/isdnctrl
  /dev/isdnctrl -> /dev/isdnctrl0

I would be interessted if after that the error message is still there?
I assume you have ipppd installed?

> > > To get capi working you need "libcapi20-3" and "pppdcapiplugin"
>
> Where can I get these packages for Warty? (Especially mind that I have
> to manually download them, as I don't have any Internet access yet on
> my Ubuntu installation.) And what about "misdn"?
> I cannot find them on the CD or in internet anywhere...

Here are the links:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/i/isdnutils/pppdcapiplugin_3.3.0.20040728-2_i386.deb
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/i/isdnutils/libcapi20-3_3.3.0.20040728-2_i386.deb

> > > AVM Audiovisuelles MKTG & Computer System GmbH Fritz!PCI v2.0 ISDN
> > > (rev 01)
> > This one needs the hisax_fcpcipnp driver, correct?
>
> I don't know. If a driver-functionality is compiled into the kernel (as
> I have always compiled my kernels with ISDN-support during the last
> two years), I don't mind what the module would be called. ;)
> Anyway, here is what Ubuntu has loaded currently (with the two
> PPP-modules being loaded manually):
>
>   # lsmod|egrep "(hisax|isdn|ppp|slhc)"
>   ppp_synctty             9472  0
>   ppp_generic            27668  1 ppp_synctty
>   hisax_isac              8212  0
>   hisax                 486224  1 hisax_isac
>   crc_ccitt               2432  1 hisax
>   isdn                  128236  1 hisax
>   slhc                    7040  2 ppp_generic,isdn
>
> Even if I try to load the hisax_pcpcipnp-module manually using modprobe
> or insmod, the module never shows up as being loaded.

If you try a modprobe/insmod, are there any messages from  the module
when you check with "dmesg"?

I hope I was able to help you!

bye,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ