Bug in Nautilus accessing Windows 2000 Shares

Pizbit pizbit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 00:22:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:06:37 -0600, glmeece <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> I've got the same issue.
>
>     At first, I could see the workgroups quickly, see the machines, then
>   see the shares (but couldn't connect).
>     Then, showing the workgroups took awhile, but no machines listed.
>     Now, it even takes awhile to display the Windows network icon, after
>   that - forget it.  :-(
>
> I know that Ubuntu is a work in progress, but one of the reasons I was
> migrating from Fedora was its broken SMB browsing.  I found a package
> for Fedora, but it was hit-or-miss as far as mounting volumes I wanted
> to connect to.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts? :?
It's a gnome-vfs problem(read, upstream), you'll have it no matter
which distribution.
I always use xsmbrowser (availible in universe I believe) for when
nautilus/gnome-vfs doesn't work, not as easy to use as nautilus but
still relatively simple, just note where the use/pass boxes are(just
under the browsing area).