ISDN-problem

Markus Amersdorfer markus.amersdorfer at aon.at
Tue Nov 2 21:07:29 UTC 2004

Hello Michael,

> [...]
> > Starting ISDN services: error:
> >     Neither /dev/isdninfo nor /dev/isdn/isdninfo exist!
> >     Before you can use any ISDN facilities, ensure you have the
> >     proper kernel modules loaded. These will probably be 'isdn' and
> >     'hisax'. Read /usr/share/doc/isdnutils/README.HiSax.gz for more
> >     information(e.g. with 'zless
> >     /usr/share/doc/isdnutils-base/README.HiSax.gz').
> >
> > The modules isdn and hisax are loaded, though.
>
> This appears to be a udev problem. The needed device nodes are not
> created in /dev. After a boot you can add them with:
> $ sudo sh -c 'for i in isdnctrl0 ippp0 isdninfo;do ln -s /.dev/$i
> /dev/$i;done'$ sudo ln -s /dev/isdnctrl0 /dev/isdnctrl

While this (at least somewhat) solves the above-mentioned problem
(thanks!), I encountered a new one already:

  root at ubuntu:/home/max # /etc/init.d/isdnutils start
  Starting ISDN services: interfacesCan't open /dev/isdnctrl or
  /dev/isdn/isdnctrl: No such device ippp0 failed.
   ipppd.
  root at ubuntu:/home/max # Sorry - this system lacks PPP kernel support.
  Check whether you configured at least the ippp0 device!

You can see there's still some part of the overall process complaining
about /dev/isdnctrl not being available (which I don't understand, as I
created the corresponding symlink).
Nevertheless, the IMHO bigger problem is the "sorry, no PPP support"
message, which I've always got when compiling ISDN-support as modules
(with all my Linux 2.4-kernels I compiled on Debian -- can't remember
any other setup anymore).
The only solution to this I know of is to compile the kernel anew and
include the ISDN- and PPP-support in the kernel (instead of providing
the functionality as modules).
Or is there another way to get this thing working?

> To get capi working you need "libcapi20-3" and "pppdcapiplugin" (the
> later is not on the CD IIRC). I attached a mini-howto to make it work
> with those two packages.

Thanks, it seems to be "easy". Though, as I said, Ubuntu Warty comes
without CAPI support, and using isdnutils is just fine for me (as long
as it works ;) ...).
But then: This might solve my problems totally ... I think I'll download
the CAPI-stuff and try it ... I'll tell you if it worked, as soon as I
find out anything about it ...

> P.S. What isdn card do you have btw?

  AVM Audiovisuelles MKTG & Computer System GmbH Fritz!PCI v2.0 ISDN
  (rev 01)

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Max

--
Information is always to be treasured, Raul. It is behind only love
and honesty in a person's attempt to understand the universe.