DVD burning problems

Robert Parker bposs at dodo.com.au
Wed Nov 3 13:02:07 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 03 November 2004 23:05, John wrote:
> Robert Parker wrote:
> > Burnt a ~4 gig iso to dvd like so:
> >
> > growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc=mybig.iso
> >
> > which is straight off the man page with relevant substitutions.
> >
> > Unfortunately, it puts the iso within another iso so that when I mount
> > /dev/hdc with the burnt dvd in it the content is just
> > 'mybig.iso' instead of the internals of the original iso.
> >
> > I could easily loop mount the iso and burn the directory tree as above
> > but that will be useless if the iso image is intended to be bootable.
> >
> > This is my first attempt at dvd burning in Linux so any advice will be
> > appreciated.
>
> Have you checked that mybig.iso isn't an ISO containing a ISO?

That thought was so scary I immediately loop mounted the thing, but no, it
expands to a directory tree.

> Here is an actual command I've used and that worked as expected:
> time growisofs -Z /dev/scd0=echidna.iso
>
> This is on Sarge; It might with with a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel; I mustly run 2.4.

I'll try again, dropping the -dvd-compat flag out.
I'm using Ubuntu, which I believe is mainly unstable.
If it comes to it I'll install Sarge on a partition and try from there.
(The box I'm doing this on has 6 * 5g partitions just there to try different
distros out).

Thanks
Bob

--
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.