(alsa-) sound on toshiba tecra 8000

Martin Reiche buellman at t-online.de
Wed Nov 3 01:35:03 UTC 2004

hello!

i just want to let you know that i spend some hours to get the sound on
my tecra 8000 to work and thought it might be a good idea to let you
guys know that it finally works.
i thought about writing it to the wiki but my english is not so good.
maybe some of you guys are interessted in doing that. i will try to get
the rest to work also.... when there is a bit time :-)

ok... here we go. installation was done with the warty-final-iso and the
standard installation type (gnome is installed) and esd is working (had
to install esound-client manually)
the only things i finally had to do:
-------
1) edit /etc/modules.conf

# ALSA Configuration.
alias snd-card-0 snd-opl3sa2

# some stuff for the OSS drivers
alias char-major-14 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# aliases for sound card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

2) edit /etc/modules

snd-opl3sa2 dma1=1 dma2=0 fm_port=0x388 irq=5 isapnp=0 midi_port=0x330
port=0x538 sb_port=0x220 wss_port=0x530 <--- its one long row!

3) starting aumix and turn pcm on :-)
4) be happy... :-)
-------
ok... thats it... it was not really difficult but it takes hours for me
to find all the informations i need.

hope that helps some of you in the future :-)

greets. martin

ps: i rebooted after editing modules... maybe there is a better way but
im a newbie (not really) and used to win2k so i like to reboot (not
really) ;-)
ps2: before editing /etc/modules its a good idea to check the bios if
the settings are the same as i wrote... but i think my settings are the
defaults. to enter bios just turn off the notebook and start again with
pressing esc until a message shows up to press f1 <-- only for those
guys which dont know how to get in the bios :-)