Network problems

Julio Biason julio.biason at terra.com.br
Wed Nov 3 00:24:32 UTC 2004

Hi there.

After running Ubuntu on my laptop for some time, I decided to install
it on my desktop/server. Unfortunally, There is some problems with the
network.

System:
Athlon with 2 NICs: 8139too and via-rhine. The 8139too is connected to
my cable modem. The via-rhine is connected to my laptop.

Problem:
To make the cable work, I need to start the 8139too module with
"media=8 full_duplex=8". If the module isn't loaded with these
options, the dhcpclient can't get information from the cable provider
(my IP, etc).

What I did:
On /etc/modutils I created a file name 8139too with

options 8139too media=8 full_duplex=8

And run 'update-modules'. I did it 'cause it said so on modules.conf
:)

So, my modules.conf had the options to correctly load the module.

Problem:
During the boot, hotplug loads the 8139too module, but doesn't follow
the options on modules.conf.

Also:
It looks like the eth1 (via-rhine) isn't being configured. I tried
setting it up with the Network option (Computer -> System
Configuration) but, after rebooting the machine, it doesn't come up.
*NOTE*: I had to Ctrl+C the dhcpclient in order to finally getting
into the system, so it could be the the Ctrl+C also avoided the start
up of eth1.