Package list in Ubuntu universe incomplete?

Dave Miller justdave at canonical.com
Tue Nov 2 09:28:10 UTC 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 05:28:01PM +0000, sparkes wrote:
>
>>Alexey Molchanov wrote:
>>
>>>I'm using Warty final and trying to install package stardict but
>>>'apt-cache search stardict' can't find it in repositories. :(
>>>
>>>My sources.list have entries for main and universe, i.e.:
>>>deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty main restricted
>>>deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty universe
>>>
>>>I knew Debian have this package so I investigated little futher and
>>>manually found this package at the universe pool:
>>>http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/s/stardict/
>>>
>>>Why apt-cache search can't find this package?
>>>Maybe Packages.gz incorrect?
>>>

> http://people.ubuntulinux.org/~lamont/buildLogs/
>
> In this case, the package built successfully, and is installable.  Probably,
> it had just recently been uploaded when Alexey looked.

The one for hoary built successfully.  The one for warty (which Alexy is
using) only attempted to build powerpc, and it failed.

dh_python: Python is not installed, aborting. (Probably forgot to
Build-Depend on python.)
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1
Build finished at 20040921-2056
FAILED [dpkg-buildpackage died]