best dual boot strategy?

Samps samps at redjocks.com
Tue Nov 2 02:54:48 UTC 2004

baz der wrote:

>HI,
>
>Starting from scratch, what is the best/easiest way to install
>Windows XP and Ubuntu on the same drive?
>
>My current idea is to install XP, then boot into SystemRescueCD
>and use QTParted to resize the ntfs partition down  - then install
>Ubuntu into the unused space and hope it configures grub to give
>me both options when the machine boots.
>
>Is there a better way to do this?  Partition the drive first maybe?
>
>many thanks,
>
>bazder

During installation of XP (which, you're right, you should do first) you
can choose how much HD space Windows is allowed to use.

While you're at it, create a fairly big FAT32 partition as well, but
don't install on it.

Once XP is installed, install Ubuntu. When you get to the part about
disk partitioning, choose to do it manually. Create a /boot partition, a
SWAP and a / partition.

Ubuntu will install a GRUB bootloader and include the XP-partition and
the FAT32 one as boot options.

When everything is installed, you can use the FAT32 part as 'pivot
point' for Mozilla bookmarks, Thunderbird mailboxes etc. so you have a
consistent mailbox, no matter whether you're 'Windowing' or 'Ubunting'.

cheers
Samps