Swapped CD-rom drive won't read data.

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 16:49:52 UTC 2004

Hi,

For various reasons I've had to change the CD drive in one of my Ubuntu
machines from the one that I used to install the OS.

I'm now trying to use a slightly older non-recording drive in the
computer.  It will play CD audio, but won't read data CDs.

If I try to read a data CD the whole system locks to the point of needing a
power-down, I can't change console or anything.

Hal via the device manager gui reports the correct drive model number.

I notice in dmesg there are two errors relating to hdc;

hdc:  set_drive_speed_status:  status=0x51  (DriveReady SeekComplete Error)
hdc:  set_drive_speed_status:  error=0xb4

later I see;

hdc:  ATAPI 48X CDROM drive, 128Kb cache, DMA

then later still;

CDROM open failed   <repeated>

Does this mean that I need to reset some parameters for the replacement
drive?  If so, what, where and how?

Neil

PS  The working drive, on another machine running Ubuntu gives;

hdc: HL - DT - ST GCE 84008, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive    <rather than an
error message>

later;

hdc: ATAPI 40X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 8192kB cache, UDMA(33)