Fwd: Auckland and booting with two Linux Distros

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Mon Nov 1 12:37:42 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 07:07:01PM +0000, paul marwick wrote:
> In article <20041028115652.GC4533 at riva.ucam.org>,
> Colin Watson <cjwatson at canonical.com> wrote:
> > The Ubuntu installer should detect the Debian installation and set up a
> > boot menu entry for it automatically. (This is a feature inherited from
> > Debian.)
>
> :) Pity it doesn't detect OS/2 Boot Manager. I tried a default install
> on my test box and was less than entertained when Ubuntu failed to
> detect OS/2 or the boot manager and overwrote the MBR with Grub. Not a
> major problem, but a pain all the same...

I'd be happy to write code to do that if I knew the necessary details.
Given a mounted OS/2 filesystem, how does one detect that it is OS/2?
Look at the os-prober source package for the kind of thing I'm looking
for.

Thanks,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]