PPC installer hanging on iMac

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 05:51:56 UTC 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:01:14 -0500, Victor Ng <crankycoder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone tried to install Ubuntu on an old iMac?  I'm trying on a
> iMac 333Mhz G3 - standard config with 32MB ram.
>
> I get a "Warning Low Memory Configuration" message in the installer,
> but I can't proceed after it.

Hey vc. I'm having a brain-freeze at the moment, but I'm almost
positive there's an option you can type in at boot time for low memory
machines. I'm sure either a search of the list archives or a look
through the wiki will give you the exact answer.

FWIW, I have Ubuntu running on a 333Mhz iMac, but my RAM has been
upgraded to 256Mb - and personally I consider that the bare minimum
for any OS these days. It runs great and "feels" a lot faster that OSX
on the same machine. In my highly scientific benchmark - my favorite
screensaver called "electricsheep", I would get between 4-8
frames-per-second in OSX and I get the full (default) 23 fps in
Ubuntu. Since I use this machine mostly for decoration*, I was
pleasantly surprised. :)

*Actually, because I'm in bed so much with my back problems, and my
laptop died on me a few weeks ago, I have the iMac on my bedside stand
and it does the standard "web browsing, email and chat" very well!

If you can't find the boot info I mentioned, let me know and I'll try
to flex gmail's search muscles. I just happen to be drugged up with
pain meds and almost unconscious at the moment. :-\

--
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu