cdrecord???

David Williamson nospam1 at nullcutter.com
Mon Nov 1 01:03:53 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 01:28 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:

> It's kernel changes. In 2.4 and previous, the only way to send generic
> userland commands to ATAPI devices was to get the kernel to make them
> appear as SCSI devices (using ide-scsi). With kernel 2.6, ide-scsi is
> deprecated; ATAPI devices are expected to handle the SG_IO commands
> directly through the /dev/hd interface. The commands sent to the drive
> are the same in the end, but the kernel no longer invents the details
> of a SCSI bus for cdrecord -scanbus to look at.

Thanks very much - this is the kind of answer I was looking for :)
Makes sense now.

I suspect this is why another utility I used to use a lot seems to act
weird now - takes forever to start, seems to freeze, et cetera:
usbview.  It's handy to see what's connected to usb, but doesn't act
"right" in ubuntu, compared to libranet.

Thanks for taking the time to explain things!

david w