warty warthog does not accept partion table ("this ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout!")

Gottfried Haider gohai at gmx.net
Mon Dec 27 11:22:54 UTC 2004

Hello,

I ordered some CDs (thanks for shipping etc, btw!) and when they arrived
some days ago, I tried it on the spot...
However, I have a problem during install. My 30 GB Fujitsu drive looks
like this

hda1 (primary): 15.7gb ntfs (Windows installed)
hda2 (primary): 8.3gb fat32 (for sharing data between Windows and Linux)
hda3 (primary): 2gb ext3 (for a Linux From Scratch installation)
hda5 (logical): 288mb swap (for both LFS and Ubuntu)
hda6 (logical): 1gb (unused, planned for use with dm-crypt)
hda7 (logical): 2.5gb ext3 (for Ubuntu)

hda7 is empty, had been formated by 'mke2fs /dev/hda7 -c -j -L ubuntu'
hda5 is clean, had been formated by 'mkswap /dev/hda5 -c'

In Ubuntu installer, all I do is (a) selecting hda7 (the formated, empty
fs for ubuntu) for inclusion (files already present should be preserved)
and (b) select / as mount-point. I touch no other partition, but when I
want to accept the changes I get the error message

-- quote --
Not yet implemented!
This ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout! Parted can't resize
this (yet).
-- quote --

... and I have no way of proceding. (I don't think Ubuntu should even
resize anything?!)

thanks for your time
Gottfried Haider
PS: please CC me (gohai {ät} gmx {punkt} net), as I won't stay
subscribed for a long time