Warty Gnome

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at luukku.com
Wed Dec 29 22:13:12 UTC 2004

to, 2004-12-30 kello 08:20 +1100, Russell Cook kirjoitti:
> Hi all,
> I used to be a KDE user and changed to Gnome with Ubuntu. I've now
> gotten used to it and like gnome. However there's a couple of things I
> don't think work correctly with the version supplied with Warty.
>
> Firstly, when you select single click in file management it works for
> nautilus and the desktop but not for applications that use the "common
> dialog box" for open files.
>
> Secondly, in list view mode (as opposed to icon view mode) if the window
> is full of files/dirs then control mouse button will select files but
> there is no individual file de-select function. I have to go up
> dir/click on dir to get a rid of selections if I pick a wrong file. This
> problem does not occur if there is whitespace in the window (i.e. it is
> not full of files/dirs) or in the icon view mode where control select
> and control deselect work as expected.

I don't seem to have at least the second problem you described. I opend
a directory with a lot of files (more than fits into the Nautilus
window) and changed to the list view. I seemd to be able to choose any
amount of files and then deselect one or several of them by at the same
time keeping down the control key and clicking on the file/files I want
to deselect. This is described in the Gnome Help, which you find in the
upper panel. When you open it, choose Desktop - User Guide - Section
7.9.2: To Select Files and Folders.

There is something missing though I think. When I have selected one
group of contiguos files by clicking on the first and last file while
keeping the sift-key down, I don't seem to be able to select an other
group in any other way than clicking on the files in it one by one. I
think it would be an important feature to be able to go down a long list
of files and select them in as many groups as you like just by clicking
the first and the last file in every group. As far as I can remember you
can do this in Windows. Perhaps this is already reported as a feature
request - does anyone know?

Regards,

Ari