External SCSI storage attached - Kernel panic

Oliver Grawert hostmaster at grawert.net
Wed Dec 29 12:54:22 UTC 2004

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 29.12.2004, 10:47 +0800 schrieb Enn Pee:
> So, the culprit is that Ubuntu recognises the external
> storage as /dev/sda once connected to system which is
> acting as boot device and failing half way.
> I changed the grub configuration to make /dev/sdb as
> boot device, attached the external storage and
> succesfully booted. But I don't think this is good way
> of running a server by tweaking system configuration
> files.
that is exctly the way you do it on linux server systems (adjusting the
system config files), especially if you got non standard hardware setups
you have to cope with.
normally you look beforehand what could change and adjust these files in
preparation, but you obvoiusly already found the right way.
:)
> Any permanant solution for this ?
yep, add the change you made to /boot/grub/menu.lst
;)

ciao
	oli
--