Network printer not detected by foomatic gui

thomas tom_hoary at web.de
Wed Dec 29 10:08:05 UTC 2004

Hi,

since I failed to run my Epson Stylus C 70 over parallel:/dev/lp0 I
plugged my printer to a new router (Digitus broadband router, geared
with 4 ports) directly to an assigned serial port.
The printer is labelled as "ready" by the router (web interface), so it
should do something!
When setup the printer with foomatic-wizard you are given two choices:

1. detect network printer

or

2. enter network adress of target printer manually

Hmm, number 2 doesn't work for me at all, maybe because of poor
networking skills (select wrong adresses or something similar).

But why option 1 doesn't work at all is very mysterious to me.

A short list of available adresses in my network:

router: 192.168.123.254 (dyn. DHCP enabled)
box1: 192.168.123.195 (fixed adress 192.168.123.1)
box2: not connected now (fix: 192.168.123.2)

Whatever adress I choosed in foomatic dialog the printer is not found at
all (nothing is found and displayed).

Now I raised the question if this doesn't work to a misunderstanding of
mine or simply because foomatic in Warty generally fails to detect
network printers !?
Did anybody successfully establish a working network printer in Warty by
using the foomatic setup tool!?

greetings

Thomas