Midi Player for Noteedit?

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Tue Dec 28 22:08:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 06:42:31PM -0300, Steve Haines wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 15:31 -0500, alainhenry wrote:
> > I have gathered my findings on how to set up timidity as midi server in
> > the following how to.
> >
> > http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/MidiSoftwareSynthesisHowTo
> >
> > Did you install noteedit in Ubuntu?  Where di dyou take the source, and
> > how did you proceed ?
> >
> > Alain
> >
> I added a Debian Testing repository to /etc/apt/sources.list as follows
>
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
>
> Then after 'apt-get update' or the Synaptic button "Reload" you will be
> able to search Synaptic for noteedit (and noteedit-data). Version is
> 2.5.3-3. In spite of being a KDE application, it did not download much
> of that stuff to my computer, as I remember. It seems to be a nice
> program for writing scores. I just wish I could get it to PLAY the score
> back through a midi player. But thanks to you, I'm getting closer!

If you add non-Ubuntu sources, it would probably be a good idea to set
up /etc/apt/preferences to give a higher priority to the Ubuntu archives
(just in case).  This is particularly true with Debian sources, since
there will be a large number of duplications.  Most of them won't
matter, but you never know....