sumarise ppc problems

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 20:19:14 UTC 2004

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 12:23:29 -0500, volvoguy <volvoguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> > In myy case I have a 12" powerbook G4, 1.3mhz, GeForce FX Go5200
>
> For the record, mine is the current G4 12" iBook - 1.2Ghz, 256Mb RAM
> (for now), ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/32Mb DDR SDRAM.
>

> > A - wireless networking : Not working
> > I havent got into this at all. I kind of rememer that there were some
> > emails about it in the list
>
> Not working for me either (Airport Extreme with a Broadcom chip). I
> WAS surprised though that Ubuntu completely recognizes the card. It
> listed all the details about it when lspci or dmesg. (I forget, and
> it's all packed up to go to my parent's today).

Airport Extreme is at present unsupported by anyone but Apple. The
specs for the chipset are a tightly guarded secret and no one has been
able to reverse engineer them. If you're interested in wireless access
on an Airport Extreme-based Macintosh you do have a few options:
(laptops with PCMCIA slot) 802.11b/g/a card; wireless USB adapter;
wireless-to-ethernet bridge device. The Airport card in my PowerBook
G3 "Pismo" worked 'out of the box'. During the install Ubuntu
recognised and properly configured it for access and used it to d/l
everything during the install process.

> > C - graphic card : No hardware acceleration? I only get thousand of colors
> > i havent gone into this. just noticed that the display only displays
> > thousand of colors as the ubuntu desktop background's gradient is not
> > properly displayed. Also i notice that OpenGL applications (i program
> > opengl under python) run pretty slow, so i guess there is no hardware
> > acceleration.
>
> This one confuses me a little. My xorg.conf file (I'm running Hoary)
> is set to 24 bpp, but photographs and backgrounds look dithered to me.
> There's a "usefbdev" (or something like that) in the config file that
> I don't recognize. It's mentioned a lot online, but only how to turn
> it on and off - not what it actually does. Now, that said, 3D
> acceleration *seems* to be working here. All of the 3D screensavers
> perform at an acceptable speed.

I would suggest you search through the YellowDogLinux general and
newbie mailing list archives... something like a Google for...
site:terrasoftsolutions.com x.org

This is a problem that was recently discussed and, IIRC, solved on
these mailing lists.

eric.