another newbie question - software

Sebastian M=?ISO-8859-1?B?/A==?=sch sebastian at sebastian-muesch.de
Tue Dec 28 18:28:54 UTC 2004

Hi,

Any comments appreciated ;-)

djyoung wrote:
> can someone point me to a place that would help me learn how to install
> applications,

Two "good" ways ...

1. Using apt-get or Synaptic: "apt-get install package-name" or if you like
a more graphical way use synaptic to do this (if you don't find the needed
software add some more repositories like universe. There are some "howtos"
for this around)

2. If a software is available as source debian-package but not in binary
form you should use this "simple" algorithm:
    0. Determine the packagename you want to install
    1. Install all needed packages for compiling "apt-get build-dep
packagename"
    2. If 1 is complaining about failed depencies, go back to 1 for all
failed depencie-packages and afterwards start again by 0.
    3. Compile the package "apt-get -b source packagename"
    4. Install the created archives by using "dpkg -i package.deb"

One "bad" way ...

1. Software that's not available in any of the repositories, but a rpm for
your machine-type is available. Download the binary-rpm. Use "alien
package.xxx.rpm" to convert this to dpkg-package(s) and install the created
.deb-files by typing "dpkg -i package.deb".

> also is it possible to find more using apt-get?

Add some more repositories. In most cases you'll find a package. If not you
can use the ones provided within the debian-mirrors and compile them from
source. If you need this just start over a new thread.

cu
Sebastian

--
        .:'