After 5 hours of struggle Java works in FireFox

Markus Kolb ubuntu-ml at tower-net.de
Tue Dec 28 17:32:15 UTC 2004

On 28.12.2004 00:03, Ari Torhamo schrieb:
> After five hours of struggle, frustration and
> self-destructive/computer-destructive thoughts I finally got Java to
> work in Firefox. Was it really a win - I don't know, because I'm afraid
> something died in me during the process... I'm trying to put a smiley
> here but my fingers refuse to obey.
>
> I started with
> http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/AddingJavaSupport/view?searchterm=java .
> I soon realized that there was something missing and this wouldn't take
> me all the way to Java in FireFox. I search for more info and found a
> welth of different instructions for installation with different paths,
> folders and syntaxes. I must have tried almost all of them. What finally
> made it work, was to link the plugin file in ns7 folder instead of the
> one in ns7-gcc29 to FireFox plugin folder (the Java version I installed
> is 1.5.0_01). I assumed I should use the one in gcc-folder because that
> one (with different version numbers) was used in the instructions I
> followed.

There is enough information in the wiki which explains the installation
of the different Java versions.
I think we should remove the extern links between the text from the
https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/Java page and put them in at the end
whith a header "Extern not Ubuntu related links".
I think with all these different links explaining the installation
someone might become confused.

Markus