After 5 hours of struggle Java works in FireFox

Jon Dixon dixon.jon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 12:03:57 UTC 2004

I got the 1.5.0_01 JDK running fine without any hassle.

I had previously reviewed the wiki page on the main Ubuntu site, but I
did a reinstall and did it from memory.

1. Make sure universe is in your repository, then:

sudo apt-get install java-package

2. Go to the Sun web site, and grab the latest non-rpm version of the SDK.

3. Edit the following file:

sudo vi /usr/share/java-package/sun-j2sdk.sh

Find the reference to the 1.5.x branch, and amend the version to match
what you downloaded.

e.g. For me it's ...
       "jdk-1_5_0_01-linux-i586.bin")
             j2se_version=1.5.0.01

Save and exit.

4. Make the package ...

sudo make-jpkg jdk-<version>

It'll ask you a few questions about package maintainer and such.

5. Install the deb ...

dpkg -i <whatever_the_package_gets_called>

You'll get an error about the package install. Don't worry, we'll fix it next.

6. Do an apt-get to fix dependencies ...

sudo apt-get sun-j2sdk1.5debian

You now have Java installed, and if you check Firefox's about:plugins,
you'll see the java plugin.

Test it with something java, such as www.popcap.com games (my wife loves them).

Enjoy.

Jon

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 04:22:33 -0500, TopDog <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> I was in the same boat last week... followed different kind of howto's I
> found... resulting in everything from nothing, to firefox crashing.
>
> What resolved it in the end, was 'this thread'
> (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=3713&highlight=java). I'm
> now running Java 1.4, but I don't think I dare to try using 1.5
> yet...although it's installed.
>
> I hope Mozilla can make it as easy installing JVM as they've done with
> Flash  8-[
>
> --
> TopDog

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them.
   - Isaac Asimov