Converting all files to UTF-8 ?

Klaus Alexander Seistrup kseistrup at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 05:33:00 UTC 2004

Perhaps I'm wrong, but you will probably be unable to convert "binary"
files like MP3s to UTF-8.  Text files shoud be ok, though.

The reason for this is that some characters in ISO-8859-1 (which is
probably your old charset) takes up two bytes in UTF-8:

$ echo 'brûlée' | iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8
brûlée
$

So a binary file will get "out of sync" when some of the bytes are
expanded from one to two bytes.

--
Klaus Alexander Seistrup
SubZeroNet · Copenhagen · Denmark