Can't log-in !

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Tue Dec 28 02:27:12 UTC 2004

Seeing as I finally got my SCSI burner to work (at least, with
Nautilus), I proceeded to close the computer case, and unplugged the
power cable of the CD burner, as it's noisy even at idle. I am going to
need the burner very rarely so it's not too much trouble.

When I rebooted, Gnome refused to start ! Not even a 'fail safe'
session !
On clicking the 'detail' button, it revealed that it was unable to read
some fil by the name of ~/.ICEauthority

Switched to the console, had a look, but the file was there !
But looking at attributes, it appeared that only root had any sort of
access to that file (-rw--------------- ), so I tried 'sudo chmod
777 .ICEauthority', then switched back GDM and Gnome eventually was kind
enough to give me my much beloved desktop.

Scared the hell out of me (doesn't take much ;o) at first. If I was
still with Mandrake, I would probably have re-installed the entire
system, but because Ubuntu required me to get my hands dirty to get my
hardware working, I have become much less worried by the console and
things that don't work as expected.

So, thanks Ubuntu..in a way ;o)

Still, what the hell happened, why did the attributes of that file got
changed so that I could not log-in anymore ???

A bit scary to think that you canlose your desktop so easily !! :-/

Vince, slowly recovering from a near heart-attack... ;o)