Dual Booting Windows

tkz ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Mon Dec 27 08:53:41 UTC 2004

I strugled for quite a while before I was finally able to get my dual
boot working. I have the system set up so that Ubuntu is on a hard
drive of it's own and that one is connected to primary ide as master.
The slave is the DVD-RW. The secondary ide has my old hard drive that
contains Windows XP (just for Max Payne and HalfLife  8) ). For Grub,
the hard drives are mapped in the file /boot/grub/device.map as
follows

(hd0)	/dev/hda
(hd1)	/dev/hdc

This is because I have the DVD connected "before" the other hard drive.
Because  of this mapping, Grub now refers to my Windows hard drive as
hd1.

The Grub menu selection for windows in my /boot/grub/menu.lst is the
following:

title Windows XP
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive

I don't know why I need to have the map stuff here. I have never had
that with any other distro I've used with the exact same hardware setup
(Gentoo, Mandrake, Redhat, Fedora). With the other distros I was able to
boot to windows right from the start so I guess this is something that
does not "just work" with Ubuntu.

The last final thing I had to do was to go to the BIOS setup menu and
change the Windows hard drive to LBA mode. Now it works.

I hope this helps someone and thanks to all who posted the tips from
which I was able to gather the solution to my case!  :D

--
tkz