Automagical mounting no longer working

zer0halo zerohalo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 08:00:05 UTC 2004

I'm not sure what I did to my system, but automagical mounting is no
longer working. What I mean by "automagical mounting" is for example,
when I plug a USB thumbdrive in, Ubuntu no longer mounts it
automatically. This used to work when first installing Ubuntu. The
system does recognize the thumbdrive (as evidenced by dmesg), and I
can mount it manually. However, even if mounting it manually, if I
want to be able to access the file system on the thumbdrive I have to
mount it as root.

I have the exact same problem with my CF card reader (which is a
PCMCIA card reader), which I was only able to mount manually at all
after adding the following to my fstab file (which I don't think I
should have to do):
/dev/hde1	/media/cf	vfat	user,rw,noauto	0 0

 but even with that I have to mount as root to access the file system
on the CF card.
Plus it doesn't mount automatically when inserting the device.

I'm not even sure where to start looking to diagnose the problem, and
I've done some searching online for the answers but to no avail. Any
help? Thanks!

Sean

--
"Impossible is nothing."