Installing Ubuntu errors

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Mon Dec 27 07:23:17 UTC 2004

Jose A Merced wrote:

> /The system memory manager (EMM386.exe) has detected an error caused
> by a fault in one of the device drivers or programs loaded in the system./

I do not know at all why EMM386.exe is running... where is it being
loaded from? It certainly isn't on the Ubuntu CD...

The CD should just boot into Linux; there should be no windows
executables (such as emm386) running at all...

> I’m still trying to figure out what programs it might be referring to,
> as it is booting from a CD with the ISO file and bootable track only.
> Any ideas of what is happening?

Ah, sounds like you've mis-interpreted what you need to do. You don't
burn the ISO onto a CD and make it bootable... you create a CD from the
ISO... the ISO *is* the CD... what CD burning software are you using? If
it's a Windows one (eg. Nero) there should be some sort of option like
"Burn CD from image" or similar... haven't used these packages for a
while so can't be more specific...

Sean