Xorg - no taskbar/dock/panel - HOARY

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 17:28:42 UTC 2004

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 18:41:15 +0800, Ian Hogben <ianhogben at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> When I log in to the desktop, I don't have any taskbar/dock/panel or
> whatever it is called. Just a blank desktop background. The only thing I
> can do at all is to right-click on the desktop and open a terminal, and
> from there manually type in the command-line args for whatever apps I
> want. It doesn't help much with things like Azureus and Apollon and Gaim
> that all stay in the taskbar. :-/

I've had similar problems with Hoary for at least the past few weeks.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've found that if I can
kill X somehow, and kill all the GDM processes, and "sudo gdm" again,
it works on the second try. Rebooting the machine seems to help
sometimes too. In my case, I can't even click/right-click anything on
the desktop, so I'm stuck switching to another terminal.

If there are some specific error messages that would help track this
down, let me know!

--
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu