Merry Christmas

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Sat Dec 25 08:39:14 UTC 2004

Simon Burke wrote:

>>>Uh, sorry, I didn't want to be offending. Maybe it's because English
>>>isn't my native language. I mean, knowing when Christians celebrate
>>>Christmas is some kind of *general education* - at least if you live in
>>>Germany. And even if many people think so, it's *not* December the 24th. ;-)
>>>

>>Well, I don't know from which part of Germany you are, but right here,
>>we're celebrating the 24th. Although we *are* christians and we are not
>>*that* uneducated...

The *official* line is that there are TWELVE NIGHTS of Christmas... the
first is Christmas Eve... Christmas officially starts at sunset on 24th
December and ends at sunrise on 6th January (Epiphany). Twelve nights...
and twelve days, the first full day of which is December 25th, hence why
it is celebrated so.

Now, can we return to festive jollity please? It is now Christmas pretty
much everywhere (perhaps not Hawaii), so let's pull a communal cracker,
sip some sherry together and just chill out :-)

Sean