Postfix expert needed for dialup config

Martin Schmitt mas at scsy.de
Thu Dec 23 09:14:19 UTC 2004

* Tommy Trussell schrieb/wrote:
> As I said yesterday I got postfix email to flush properly, but last
> night I realized the LOCAL mail is not being routed correctly... If I
> use the sendmail command at a terminal prompt to try to send a message
> to root, it tacks the ISP's domain on it and queues it for SMTP
> delivery -- root at fastmail.fm -- NOT what I want!
>
> So yesterday I added the canonical_maps and virtual_maps settings and
> created the db files in the postfix directory, but they have had NO
> effect yet...
>
> It occurs to me that I haven't tried everything -- maybe I have to
> include all possible permutations, such as root at localhost,
> root at fastmail.fm root at localhost.localdomain ?  Maybe I'm putting the
> items in the wrong order in the canonical and virtual data files?
>
> Is there an EASY setting I'm missing that will tell postfix to leave
> local addresses alone? What have I done to mess up local delivery?

Look at the "append_at_myorigin" setting in main.cf. It is set to "yes"
by default and therefore will append the domain name set in "myorigin"
to bare usernames. Try to set this to "no" and see if local delivery
works that way.

I doubt that it's a good idea to make the system believe that it's part
of the ISPs domain (myhostname/myorigin/mydomain settings), but as I
said before, I don't have any serious experience with Postfix dialup
configurations.

-martin

--
| Martin Schmitt          | Schmitt Systemberatung |