mac spanish keyboad without @

Roland Wegmann rowe_gnu at gmx.net
Thu Dec 23 00:19:34 UTC 2004

hi enrike

i had the similar problem with my swiss german keybord on my ibook. you
can solve the @ problem with a little modification of the appropriate
x11 symbols file (/etc/X11/xkb/symbols). in my case i did the following
modification:

a) cd /etc/X11/xkb/symbols
b) cp de_CH de_CH.orignal
c) sudo nano de_CH
d) in nano (editor) i added the following line to the de_CH file:

 key <LALT> {        [  Mode_switch, Multi_key       ]       };

this line had to be included here

---snip

    // End alphanumeric section, begin "Keypad"

    key <KPDL> {        [  KP_Delete,   KP_Decimal      ]       };
    key <LALT> {        [  Mode_switch, Multi_key       ]       };

    // End "Keypad" section

    // begin modifier mappings
    modifier_map Shift  { Shift_L };
    modifier_map Lock   { Caps_Lock };
    modifier_map Control{ Control_L };
};

---snip

e) save the modification / leave nano
f) logout / login

oh I have to say that i use the following /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
definitions:

---snip

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "de_CH"
EndSection

---snip

if you have something with macintosh in the InputDevice section of your
XF86Config-4 file, modify the appropriate file
in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh.

I think the file 'es' holds the definitions for a spanish keyboard. if
you need further info, please let me know.

kind regards, Roland