Accessing an ibook G4 in target disk mode using firewire from an i386 Ubuntu box

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 18:30:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:53:19 +0800, Michael Hunt
<michael at aussie.oddsocks.net> wrote:

> Can someone help me with steps for accessing an ibook G4 in target disk
> mode using firewire from an i386 Ubuntu (Warty) box (actually an AMD
> Athlon XP 1600+ with a VIA chipset as the firewire controller). The
> drive is detected and all the appropriate modules seem to be loaded and
> I can mount the partition cleanly, it is just that when I go to copy
> stuff across the drive seems to hang. Google hasn't really helped me and
> I was wondering if anyone on the list had any ideas.

If I'm reading this right and you're just trying to move files from
one machine to the other, Linux and OS X can both use Samba over a
network.

If you're trying to get the two to talk to each other over a direct
Firewire link, that's beyond my knowledge.

--
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu