OpenOffice 2.0

JohnOfArc yustabeme at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 22 01:49:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:29:13 +0100, Werner Punz wrote:

> JohnOfArc wrote:
>>>
>> http://dba.openoffice.org/miscellaneous/dba20.html
>>
>> what I get out of this is the desire to spare us mere mortals the
>> hassle of having to use a client/server model (overkill) when a simple
>> file based approach will suffice. I won't argue the merits of any one
>> solution with you (I'm 99.9% certain you'd win <g>), but I have to say
>> this approach suits me fine, though I might have preferred SQLite.
>>
> Well no client server is sort of not true in this case. You can embedd
> Hypersonic into java applications but they seem to opt for a jdbc
> approach (at least from what I could gather in between the lines), which
> basically means that they have to sort of bridge the C code openoffice
> into a jdbc bridge via jni and then they open a socket connection into a
> Hypersonic server running in a separate VM in the background. Kindof
> overkill unless I misunderstood the docs (who knows the description only
> mentions jdbc... so they might just leave the jdbc port open for others)

ummm... sorry, I *meant* to say I'm 100% certain you'd win. I was simply
relying on what was indicated in this section

http://dba.openoffice.org/miscellaneous/dba20.html#embedding

but the particulars are a bit over my head (harumph)

> In the long run they probably will have to add hooks into whatever db
> interface the current system provides, KDE and Gnome both currently seem
> to move slowly towards high level db apis (thank god, given the mess
> ODBC is in Linux...)
>

>> Now if I can only get it to recognize/use my Java install... (currently
>> Sarge).
>>
> Easy.... dont go for the packages java installs just fine without the
> debs, just get the binaries either from Blackdown or Sun (whatever suits
> your needs better)
> execute the bin files and voila it expands the whole vom+jre into a
> single dir, then symlink the java interpreter into a dir of your path
> and you are done and have a running java...

$ java -version
java version "1.4.2_04"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05) Java
HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_04-b05, mixed mode)

I can't find a reference for min. java ver. for this release, but it's
Sun's and it's in my path (installed from j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.bin).
The error I get when trying to create a db says my java is broken- perhaps
I'll try a different version; also open to other suggestions...

> Java Webstart is equally easy, just press on a jnlp file in your
> favorite browser and associate the javaws in the java bin dir with the
> file type and you are set with webstart.

thanks for the tip