OpenOffice 2.0

Werner Punz werpu at gmx.at
Tue Dec 21 21:47:18 UTC 2004

Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:

> think the new database component is built on Java.

You are right, OpenOffice usese HypersonicSQL a database which
basically originally was developed as a plain java solution
which can be embedded into other java apps.
It is not the worst database out there (although also not the best,
which still in my opinion is postgresql, giving the huge variety of OSS
databases)

Why they chose hypersonic over others still is somewhat a miracle to me,
does not really fit to the project itself.
HSQL would be the typical choice for having an embedded DB in a java
server, but under this circumstances postgres or firebird definitely
would have been more suitable.