Ubuntu iBook G3 Performance

Wouter Eerdekens retuow at xs4all.be
Tue Dec 21 09:40:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 11:14:28AM +0200, Ecmel Ercan wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:55:16 -0500, Larry Grover wrote:
>
> > This model is prone to failure of a critical system component:  the
> > logic board (see http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/ or simply
> > google on "ibook logic board").  I've owned my iBook for a little over 7
> > months, and it has been back to Apple for replacement of the logic board
> >   a total of three times!  In fact, I just got it back from it's third
> > trip to Apple's repair facility today.
>
> Thanks for the eye-opener, the serial number is UV316... so is prone to
> failure. Pity though, it seemed a good machine.

Early iBook G3's are good machines in my opinion. I have a 600MHz model. A
colleague has a 800MHz model, and he had trouble with his logic
board as well. So if you find a 600MHz model, I say go for it. Performance
is good, but you have to realize it "only" has an ATI Rage videocard,
no Radeon...

At work I have a G4 iBook, which also works fine (dual booting OS X and
Hoary).

--
Wouter Eerdekens
                                      human beings were created by water