Ubuntu & the underdeveloped world

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Mon Dec 20 21:26:03 UTC 2004

poptones wrote:

> Walk the streets of Kiev, Tokyo or London and see how many american
> flags you see plastered across chests, backs and butts. For such an
> evil nation a whole lotta people sure seem to aspire to us.

Cross posted to sounder, the correct place for this discussion, please
reply there.

I don't think you have spent a lot of time in the UK if you think we
wear the stars and strips without irony ;-)  I thought the US was
aspring to be a large European nation in the 19th century, you know,
poor to none-existant social services, education for the rich, no health
service, and an empire ruled by the fear ;-)  oh, and that's irony.

Although the average Japanese person believes the Rolling Stones are
American every Japanese I have met has been totally devoted to 60's
London and Liverpool, including those I met in the US.  So although you
might see the flag plastered around Tokyo it's probably more likely to
be a meaningless pop art symbol than a political one of aspiration.

Not to sure about Kiev I haven't met that many Ukranians and those I
have met came to England during the 30's and 40's as refugees and fought
in the Second World war against facism.  Well to be fair I have only met
these people as grandparents of school friends but I am pretty sure they
don't dote on the US flag at least I haven't noticed so it's not as
public as wearing the flag on their arses ;-)

sparkes