Permission denied even as root !

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Mon Dec 20 10:02:03 UTC 2004

Problem....

I am trying to install a commercial program that comes on a DVD
("Hachette Encylopedia").
The procedure is simply to mount the DVD, and run the installation
script. But when trying to execute it

"unable to exec ./installation.sh: Permission denied"
"bash: ./installation.sh: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied"

I ran it as root, but still, permission is denied !
Also, it used to work fine with Mandrake 9.2. And I didn't even have to
be root to run the script, I could just install it in  /home for
example.

A friend tried it on Mandrake 10.1 and experienced exactly the same
error messages. Seeing the " /bin/sh bad interpreter" error, he tried
using another shell ('zsh') but still got the same error.
He tried installing both with Gnome and KDE, and again, same problem.

So what has gone wrong ? The only common denominator I can see, is the
new 2.6 Kernel. Okay I could try another Kernel, but I don't have
broadband so it will take a while to download. In the meantime, I am
hoping someone on here may have a clue... :-/

Vince