networking

Daniel Saunders daniel.saunders at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 00:06:29 UTC 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:42:50 -0500, Mark <markgp at cox.net> wrote:
> I am running ubuntu linux on one computer and windows xp on a laptop. I
> have a 802.11b wireless setup between the two with a high speed
> connection on the ubuntu computer.  The network works great between the
> two computers except for printing.  I can print from the ubuntu computer
> but not from the windows xp computer.  The win xp computer tells me I
> have the wrong printer driver installed on the server.  The win xp
> computer does see the printer and the ubuntu computer.  Any suggestions
> would be great!

Network printing from Windows XP SP2 to a Samba server is a darn pain.
 There's a bug in SP2 that MS hasn't fixed and which is the cause of
this pain.  A google search will yield some possible answers, but
currently I'm struggling to get my wife's laptop to work well.

After XP tells you that the wrong driver is installed you should be
given an option to install Windows drivers.  Install these are you're
in the right direction.  You may find it better to step around Samba
and instead use an "Internet Printer" and print directly into CUPS.
This method won't try to install drivers from your Ubuntu box and also
bypasses some of the bugs in the XP->Samba connection.

Take this discussion into the world of Windows - that's where the problem lies.

Daniel