Ubuntu & the underdeveloped world

CB ubuntu-users at crispin.cb-ss.net
Sun Dec 19 21:33:24 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 21:27 +0100, altern wrote:

> I think you forget about the people that didnt voted to anyone, which is
> in the almost all democratic countries the biggest group of population.

This is one of the few ways I'd commend my own country's system. Here in
Australia we have compulsory voting. It seems to me it's a small price
to pay for living in a democracy. It is still possible to choose not to
vote (and those who do so generally go unpunished), but as the majority
of people are essentially law-abiding, it results in turnouts well over
90%.

Unfortunately the votes are still counted in such a way that the largest
minority gets monopoly power.