Ubuntu & the underdeveloped world

Travis Newman panickedthumb at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 00:45:35 UTC 2004

s.roman wrote:
> I guess according to your logic, any US resident is imperialistic and
> evil. Way to generalize.

You're the one generalizing here. He said that all the snide comments he
got were from American domains, YOU put the words into his mouth that
all Americans are imperialistic and evil. He was just making a point and
you honestly are helping him along with his point. I've spoken with him
in private many times and he's not one to generalize about things of
this nature. Don't get me wrong, there's no affiliation of any kind
between us, I just think people are hammering him for expressing his
beliefs and opinions, and as Americans we SHOULD be standing up for
everyone's rights and freedoms, but do we? Rarely. Just recently in a
public opinion poll, something like 55% of Americans said that Arab and
Muslim people's rights should be limited to help weed out the terrorists
in the bunch. Another American pundit was quoted as saying that it's
unfortunate that all Muslims are viewed as terrorists, but that's not
the case, he said. Then I was thinking "finally, someone said that" but
he proceeded to say that the unfortunate fact of the matter is that all
terrorists are Muslims! Anyone remember Timothy McVeigh? How about the
Waco cult? American culture is a very spoonfed culture, and anything
outside the comfort zone is evil to most Americans. I'm going a little
off topic here.

My point is, regardless of your views, don't be skeptical and demeaning
towards others views. Shango IS right that it seems that mostly
Americans shoot him down and belittle him, but he's not saying that all
Americans are imperialistic bigots. Please notice that I'm not taking
sides on the topic that Shango brought up, because that doesn't matter
to my point. I'm merely supporting his right to have his opinions. To
paraphrase a quote from The American President, you have no right to
salute the American flag unless you can stand up for someone else's
right to burn that flag in protest. Don't get me wrong here. I DO love
America, and I do consider myself patriotic because I stand up for the
values held by the Constitution that the country was founded on.

In closing, Shango is a user of Ubuntu Linux. He had an issue that he
thought was appropriate for this list, and he's admitted that in
hindsight, it wasn't the best place for it. Can we all please stop
berating his views and move on? If you have your own views, great. This
thread has gone on way after Shango said himself it shouldn't have, so
what's a few more? Just present them in a responsible and adult manner,
and have conversation and debate, but not argument. Arguments start
wars, conversations start friendships.