configuring network alias on laptop

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Sat Dec 18 11:56:06 UTC 2004

On Fri Dec 17 23:05:55 CST 2004 Chuck Vose wrote:

> You may have sorted this out by this point but maybe not.
> I'm unclear about what exactly isn't working, is it not forwarding or
> is the interface not coming up? Is the problem just that when you
> 'ifup eth0', eth0:0 doesn't come up at the same time?

Thanks for the reply.

No I have not sorted it out yet and yes I did not formulate the
problem clearly enough. Here goes again:

This is my '/etc/network/interfaces' ( I leave out irrelevant stuff
and unnecessary detail ) and it concerns a pcmcia network card on a
laptop.

 auto lo
 iface lo inet loopback

 mapping hotplug
        script grep
        map eth0

 iface eth0 inet dhcp

 iface eth0:0 inet static
        address 172.20.1.2
        ''''''''''

At boot networking, hotplug and pcmcia are started ok and when I
/sbin/ifconfig I see 'lo' and 'eth0' running and everything works ok.

If I then '/sbin/ifup eth0' the interface 'eth0:0 is also brought up
and /sbin/ifconfig shows 'lo', 'eth0' and 'eth0:0' running and
everything works ok. So far no problems.

But of course I want 'eth0:0' brought up, together with 'lo' and 'eth0',
at boot, automatically.

I suspect the problem is with 'mapping hotplug' and 'script grep',
and that I will have to make some changes elsewhere (or drop the
'mapping hotplug' bit altogether and just use 'auto', but I don't
know which consequences this will have so I have not tried it yet).

I don't understand what 'script grep' does either.
I have read the relevant debian networking stuff and perused
the debian mailing lists where I encountered one thread with this
problem but no solution as far as I can see but this has not brought
enlightenment.

Alexander