Packages didn't upgrade

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Dec 18 09:16:29 UTC 2004

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 02:21:00AM -0600, Rich Duzenbury wrote:
>root at wisconsin:/etc/apt # wajig UPGRADE
>
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>The following packages have been kept back:
>  linux-image-2.6-386 linux-restricted-modules-2.6-386
>0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
>
>Why did these two packages not upgrade?  I'm new to debian type
>distros, so I'm a bit clueless here.

They have dependencies that aren't satisfied automatically. If you use
'apt-get' you can run

 # apt-get dist-upgrade

to see if that helps. Otherwise you can always re-install the packages
mentioned:

 # apt-get install linux-image-2.6-386 linux-restricted-modules-2.6-386

Beware that depending on the reason for the packages to be held back you
might want to wait with upgrading rather than force it.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Between the truth and the search for truth, I opt for the second.
     -- Berhard Berenson