Hoary python 2.4

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Dec 17 22:21:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 09:14:51PM +0100, Simone Tognozzi wrote:
>Sorry for thread hijacking,
>Just make a new thread :)
>
>I've got problems installing gdesklets-data after doing dist-upgrade and
>changing to python 2.4:
>
>gdesklets-data: depends: python (< 2.4) but 2.4-0ubuntu2 is to be
>installing
>E: Package broken
>
>I've tried reinstalling python 2.4, but it doesn't work
>So, I'ld like to know if anyone alse have the same problem, or it
>belongs to me.

I think we are all experiencing this. I have a slew of packages the
won't be upgraded due to the change from python2.3 to python2.4:

$ apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
  bicyclerepair python python-cddb python-doc python-glade2 python-gnome2
  python-gtk2 python-id3lib python-numeric python-pyogg python-pyvorbis
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
$ apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  jack* meld* python-gnosis* python-id3* python-pyggy* revelation*
scons*
  python2.4-doc python2.4-glade2 python2.4-gtk2 python2.4-id3lib
  python2.4-numeric
  bicyclerepair python python-cddb python-doc python-glade2
python-gnome2
  python-gtk2 python-id3lib python-numeric python-pyogg python-pyvorbis
11 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4389kB of archives.
After unpacking 15.7MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

I expect this to slowly be taken care of as the transition is completed.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire,
and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
     -- John A. Hrastar